Sunday, February 10, 2008

self-discovery

So, I like to think that I know myself pretty well. And I have often thought about the many ways I am and am not like my favorite cartoon characters. For instance, I one time told someone that Cathy was my negative spirit animal. By which I meant, the part of myself that i am least satisfied with are the exact traits that are taken to a gross extreme by Cathy: insecurity, empty consumption, butt dimple anxieties. In a great time wasting attempt today before Hannah came over I was google image searching ('gising,' if you will) 'beach garfield.' On an UNOFFICIAL Garfield site, I found this description of Garfield:

Garfield was born in the kitchen of Mamma Leoni's Italian restaurant in 1978. He was 5 pounds 6 ounces. His birth in a Italian restaurant explains why Garfield loves lasagna. The restaurant owner, forced to choose between Garfield and closing his doors for lack of pasta, sold Garfield to a pet store. Garfield thought he was a goner until Jon Arbuckle walked in the door and bought him. Ever since he lives with his owner, Jon, his slobbery canine pal, Odie, and his teddy bear, Pooky.

But why is Garfield called Garfield? Because when Jim Davis needed a name for his character, he thought of his grandfather, James A. Garfield Davis, a big, cantankerous, cynical man. The name just seemed to fit the personality and shape of thew character. And so Garfield the cat was born.

The Garfield comic strip debuted in 41 newspapers on June 19, 1978. It now appears in more than 2300 newspapers around the world.

But what makes Garfield so lovable? It's simple...people relate to him because he is them. "He's a human in a cat suit," as creator Jim Davis likes to say. Garfield loves TV and hates Mondays. He'd rather pig out than work out; in fact, his passion for food and sleep is matched only by his aversion to spinach, diet and exercise. Very strong coffee is the only way to start the day. What could be more human?

People also identify with, and revel in, Garfield's sassy brand of humor. Garfield is quick-witted and he never hesitates to say the things that people -- young or old -- would like to say, in a way they'd like to say them. But he's never socially unacceptable....just tastefully outrageous!

But Garfield is not all sass and sarcasm; he also has a soft side. He really loves his teddy bear, Pooky, and deep down, he loves Jon and Odie, too.

It's easy to see that Garfield is a well-rounded character and a real classic.


GARFIELD AND I ARE THE SAME PERSON.

EVIDENCE:
-HATES MONDAYS
-LOVES TV
-NAMED AFTER NON-BIOLOGICAL GRANDFATHER
-ITALIAN/LOVES LASAGNA
-WOULD RATHER PIG OUT THAN WORK OUT
-PASSION FOR FOOD AND SLEEP
-NEED FOR STRONG COFFEE
-SASSY
-QUICK WITTED
-TASTEFULLY OUTRAGEOUS
-HAS SOFT SIDE
-REAL CLASSIC


Also, I didn't know that such a thing as Garfield Inspired Fan Art existed. I have dubbed it gARTfield.
In light of today's revelation, these seemed the most pertinent.




I have to say, this is a big day.

No comments: